About the IPU
The Irish Pharmacy Union is the professional, representative organisation for community pharmacists in Ireland.
Membership is open to all registered community pharmacists in accordance with the terms of the IPU’s Constitution.
As pharmacists, our commitment is to deliver a quality, accessible, personal and professional service that puts the patient first.
Our objectives are:
- On your side and by your side - ensure that the IPU is the voice of community pharmacy in Ireland.
- Promote patient health and wellbeing through advocacy and the delivery of world-class services.
- Negotiate and advocate for acceptable terms and fair remuneration.
- Promote expert healthcare services and counselling to patients in a caring environment.
- Secure a viable community pharmacy sector and promote an efficient business model.
In 1973 the Irish Pharmacy Union, formerly the Irish Pharmaceutical Union, was established (having emerged from the Irish Drug Association). It was evident to the pharmacists of the time that there was a need for an organisation distinct from the regulatory body that would solely represent their interests.
The IPU's sole focus is on protecting, promoting and strengthening the profession now and long into the future, and advising and supporting members in their professional and business lives. The IPU has developed and made available to its members increased benefits ranging from product file dispensing software to advice on a whole range of matters including professional issues, business issues, payments from PCRS, and HR.